Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS RR set that ought to exist, does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tclinch

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
US
I have a small network with 2 servers on the non-dns server I am getting the 2 following warning and error messages appearing about every 2 hours:

Error Netlogon 5774
Registration of the DNS record '34f8cdee-8c31-42aa-a5ea-f182722c45fd._msdcs.xxxx.com. 600 IN CNAME nondns.xxxx.com.' failed with the following error:
DNS RR set that ought to exist, does not exist.

Warning Browser 8021
The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\dnsserver on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{BFEF77C8-83B1-42B2-9123-6BC66D5F4618}. The data is the error code.

Everything seems to be operating correctly, but this is driving me crazy. I read some posts on having a * MX record, but didn't seem to be the problem. Any other suggestions are much appredicated.

Thanks,
tclinch

Yes, have extensively searched the web and viewed about every post on this topic. I have not seen this topic on tek-tips and thought I would give it a try. Thanks for the try.

How long has this been going on? What has changed? Who is your main dns server? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"To fear the worst oft cures the worse."
William Shakespeare (1564-1616); English dramatist, poet.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

The following RR types cannot be appended to an RRset. If the
following comparison rules are met, then an attempt to add the new RR
will result in the replacement of the previous RR:

SOA compare only NAME, CLASS and TYPE -- it is not possible to
have more than one SOA per zone, even if any of the data
fields differ.

WKS compare only NAME, CLASS, TYPE, ADDRESS, and PROTOCOL
-- only one WKS RR is possible for this tuple, even if the
services masks differ.

CNAME compare only NAME, CLASS, and TYPE -- it is not possible
to have more than one CNAME RR, even if their data fields
differ.

In the Browser warning, NetBT_TCPIP, if I'm not mistaken that BT is BROWSTAT and in Windows NT and Windows 2000, a Time Source Server advertises through the browser. The W2K Resource Kit didn't have BROWSTAT, but it should be available in the next release. I used the NT 4.0 version on W2K for these examples.
As the Time Source Server advertises on each transport, we first must issue a:
BROWSTAT STATUS [-v] [Domain]
to get a list of transports. Here is a sample from my domain:
C:\>browstat status -v FHIINC

Status for domain FHIINC on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{5CC729D2-3615-483D-BA48-D4142D277CA6}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: FHI001
Master browser is running build 2195
There are 3 servers in domain FHIINC on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{5CC729D2-3615-483D-BA48-D4142D277CA6}
Number of NT Advanced Servers: 1
Number of OS/2 Domain controllers: 0
Number of Windows For Workgroups machines: 0
Number of Os/2 machines: 0
Number of NT machines: 3

Number of active WfW browsers: 0
Number of browsers: 3
Number of backup browsers: 0
Number of master browsers: 1
There are 1 domains in domain FHIINC on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{5CC729D2-3615-483D-BA48-D4142D277CA6}
NOTE: Each transport will have a similar listing.

For each transport:
BROWSTAT VIEW <transport>
Example:
C:\>browstat view \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{5CC729D2-3615-483D-BA48-D4142D277CA6}

Remoting NetServerEnum to \\FHI001 on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{5CC729D2-3615-483D-BA48-D4142D277CA6}
with flags ffffffff
3 entries returned. 3 total. 20 milliseconds

\\FHI001 NT 05.00 (W,S,PDC,TS,PQ,NT,MBR)
\\FHI005 NT 05.00 (W,S,SQL,NT,PBR)
\\FHI009 NT 04.00 (W,S,PQ,NT,PBR)

The Time Source Server is advertising itself with the TS service indicator.
=======================================================

You may notice that every so often (normally between 60 and 120 minutes apart) there is a netlogon error in your system log, eventid 5774, normally referring to being unable to register your domain name in the DNS.
This is also associated with a NetDiag error on the DNS test - netdiag /test:dns which states that not all records are registered correctly, something similar to;
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS Server 'Ip Address of your DNS server' Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
[FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

- TRY THIS.

Because the AD is trying to register your domain name in the central DNS. It doesn't actually have to do this (this s intended for certain LDAP uses) but it does cause this error. To stop the errors, or if your are experiencing other problems you can stop your server registering the connection using the following registry modification;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters

Add a registry value of the type
REG_DWORD
with the name
RegisterDnsARecords
and set the value to 0 (zero).

The DNS will stop the server registering any A records dynamically, but all other SRV records should be registered as normal - if not you have a separate problem.

However if you do this you will have to manually add a global catalog A record in your DNS.

To do this you need to add an A (HOST) record for your DNS server under <_your.dnsname....>
In the GC folder/entry add a new host record for your machine.

NOTE : All subsequent global catalog machines will have to be manually registered in this way, which hopefully will not be too much of an issue.

IMPORTANT: If you are using a BIND DNS server, to avoid a similar problem you need to turn off name checking for <_your.dnsname....>

Also,when File and Print Sharing is disabled or not installed, the Server service does NOT bind to the NetBios interface. If the computer becomes a backup browser, it is unable to share out the browse list to clients.
Any computer that is to be included in a browse list must have File and Print Sharing Enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back