Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Routing Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

briansdell

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2003
US
The person who setup our current network named our internal domain the same as our website domain located at our internet provider. Problem is anytime you try to get to our website from in our local network you get page not found. I understand why this is happening, when you ask for out website its looking to our local server for the pages. In the past I go around this by having a second copy of our site on one of our local servers with it's own IP address and a DNS record directing it to that address. However this has become an issue in that every time I update one site I have to update the other of they don't match. My question is can I point my DNS so that anytime someone looks for our www. address that is routes it outside the local network instead of trying to resolve internally???
THanks for any help

Brian

On your internal DNS server, add a host record for 'www' and point it to the website.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Thanks I tried that and it did not seem to work, how long does it take for the DNS records to update once you make a change.

Brian

Thanks that worked just took some time for the DNS records to update.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back