Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS, router, netlogon 5774 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilzeus

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
US
I have a w2k Adv. Server machine which is a domain controller. Its also performs DNS for the domain which it controls, lilzeus.net. Internet access is via a cable modem. At first I had 2 NICS, ICS on the server and a hub to run the internal network. Everything was pretty much OK. I recently bought a router. It provides IPs for all the machines so I uninstalled the DHCP service on the server. I am not running AD.

My problem is that I am getting netlogon errors every 2 hours. Here are a couple examples:

Registration of the DNS record 'lilzeus.net. 600 IN A 192.168.0.101' failed with the following error:
DNS server not authoritative for zone.

Registration of the DNS record '_gc._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.lilzeus.net. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 ns1.lilzeus.net.' failed with the following error:
DNS server not authoritative for zone.

The router assigns address, 192.168.0.101, to the server. The address, 68.58.103.37, is the IP for the WAN/router. My server's TCP/IP is set to dynamic at the moment. Here are some pics of my DNS setup:

I got rid of this problem by setting the forward lookup zone to allow dynamic updates BUT it ended up changing the IP address for the ns1 record to a 192.168.0.101 address which killed the websites.

What can I do to set this straight? I have been trying different settings for a while now.

do an IPCONFIG /ALL and check the entries for Primary DNS. My bet is that it's the IP of the router, which of course is not the nameserver for your zone. You'll need to statically assign the IP 192.168.0.101 as the Primary DNS on your server's NIC.

OK, I have done that. Will see if this holds out. :) Did all of the other settings look OK?

Nope. That very much does not work. I set the IP addresses statically and I got no internet connection. I set the DNS sever addresses to 192.168.0.101 (my server's NIC address, as assigned by the router), 68.58.103.37 (my server is a DNS server, and that is its address), and even to DNS server addresses from my ISP. It didnt stop the messages (Netlogon) and I even lost my internet connection completely. So what gives?

I had this problem also but I have AD set up on our server.
What I did was I removed the root dns (which was the dns setting for my server), cleared the event log, stop-restart the netlogon service and verified my settings with nslookup.

You're nslookup should say

C:\>nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 68.58.103.37: No information
Default Server: <dns name>
Address: 192.168.0.101

>

You're preferred dns should be 68.58.103.37 and the alternate dns server should be 192.58.103.37 under the general tab of your tcp/ip properties.

You should be able to go online and the netlogon error messages should dissapear.

Are you sure about that alternate DNS address? It doesnt seem right. I am trying your settings now.

I think I got it. My router had a setting for a host name and it was empty. I made your changes (primary DNS secondary DNS etc) and also put my domain name in the router's Local Domain Name field. I keep restarting Netlogon service and checking system log, no real problems. This is the only message I get now:

Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed with the following error:
No DNS servers configured for local system.

My router has dynamic DNS capabilities. I wonder if that my help this new message. Thanks a lot by the way.

Uhmmm... you wrote &quot;I recently bought a router. It provides IPs for all the machines so I uninstalled the DHCP service on the server&quot; ... this is the mother of your problem. Now you have 2 DHCP server I think: your router and your server. When the the server assigns a IP of the secondary zone (it can not do it!) the zone file can't be updated, so you got the error. Why have you a router with DHCP active? This is really not a good idea. i think that your net should be revised.
And, you got a w2k adv... is member of a cluster (why is an adv?)? why AD is not active? the server is not a PDC? Can you specify?

Pino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back