Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS reverse lookps - what is this for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi, in our DNS setup we have forward look ups to convertnames to IP addresses, but what is the reverse lookup for and do I need it?

A

1665, reverse lookups are almost as important as the ones that you mention (widely known as forward lookups). Many applications rely on reverse lookups to figure out the name behind a given IP. If you are setting up your DNS manually then this tasks of creating the reverse lookup db files will become tedious as your domain grows. If on the contrary you are using a DNS GUI or similar it should be creating them automatically. You can check this with your DNS vendor.

Jose Luis Martin Cenjor, CCNA, CCNP
HP Global Technology Solutions

Thanks for your reply, can you explain how I can automate this, at the moment I have nothing in the reverse lookup folder in DNS......

Kind regards

andy

Win2k server in a WinNT 4 Domain environment.

Andy

Any help out there? Not know Win2K/WinNT4 appropriate DNS instructions to the detail.

Jose Luis Martin Cenjor, CCNA, CCNP
HP Global Technology Solutions

If you run your DHCP on 2000, you can tell it to register clients in reverse zone, on behalf of the client.

Im not 100% if this feature works when DC's are NT4

mvh
Nicolai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back