Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS resolution to .org domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESCMitch

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2006
US
We have a 2003 server running DNS. The problem is that at random times the resolution for .org domains doesnt work but .com, .edu and so forth works. The server has root hints and does recursion fine and once I restart the DNS server service resolution to .org domains work again. I have manually rebuilt the DNS forward and reverse lookup zones and tried everything else under the sun. The DNS server is non-Active Directory intergraded. Nothing in the event logs regarding error with the resolution of .org domains. If you need any more info let me know. Any input will be helpful.

I would try the Dig utility and use the trace switch like in the following command.

dig @10.10.10.10 something.org +trace

where 10.10.10.10 is the address of your DNS server. This will show the steps the resolver went through to get the answer. I would restart the DNS server and run the command and when it stopped resolving .org lookups, run the same command and see where you resolver is having the problem.

I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

Nick Mitchell
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back