Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS resolution, LAN & Internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weare

MIS
Nov 12, 2002
AU
Sorry, misprint in previous post re replication.
I have an AD domain with W2k server as PDC, 2 x W2k servers as BDC's & my w/stns run XP.
The PDC's DNS points at itself (lan connection).
The PDC has a modem attached, and the dns settings for this dial-up are the primary & 2ndary ISP DNS addresses.
If I point my BDC's & w/stns DNS to the ISP DNS addresses, i/net connection sharing works fine, but local resolution & login times are very slow & replication between the DC's & PDC stops.

If I point my BDC's & w/stns DNS to the PDC's local(static)ip address, user logins & local resolution is very fast, replication is successful, but no-one can connect to the i/net
Can anyone tell me what's going on here please?

You have to setup forwarders.
The PDC should be seytup as follows:
In it's TCP/IP settings, the DNS server should be itself (local lan ip).
Then, in the DNS server properties, click the forwarders tab, enable forwarders. You then put the ISPs name servers in the space provided.
Point all your local workstations DNS to the PDC.

The forwarders will 'forward' the requests on to the ISPs dns servers.

I have a similar issue but the only difference was I am able to get into the i/net but was unable to do http uploads. Please feel free to scrutinize my DHCP Config. I am thinking maybe I did something wrong. It work in the past I am wondering how come i was unable to make it work after a NT 4 to Win2k migration. Thanks in advance

DHCP Scope

Router – 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers – 192.168.0.253
Host Name – DC-01
DNS Domain Name – domain.domain.com
WINS/NBNS Servers – 192.168.0.253; 192.168.0.10
WINS/NBT Node Type – 0X8

Server Options

Router – 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers – 205.152.144.235; 205.152.0.5 – ISP DNS Servers
Host Name – DC-01
WINS/NBT Node Type – 0X8

networxguy, change DNS server to local, also remove host name from scope. if you only have one scope, forget the scope options and use the server options (scope options = local, server options = global) scope options overide server options

server options should be:
Router – 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers – 192.168.0.253
WINS/NBT Node Type – 0X8

Setup your DNS server to use forewaders for the isp, keep the isp dns addresses out of dhcp. Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Don't forget to manually enter your DNS server to the to the DNS list. By default the server will not add itself to DNS. You can also run Netdiag to check your setting. This is a great tool. You can dowload it from M.S.
If it finds something wrong run netdiag /fix and it will fix it for you.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back