Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS replication problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.

a12b23c34

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
DE
Hello ,

We are in the process of migrating the Windows NT 4.0 SERVER setup to Windows 2000 Server with Active Directory .
We have also setup DHCP and WINS between the servers which is working properly .

But we are facing problems with the DNS replication between sites . We have two remote sites which are trusted and we have setup the DNS servers locally in those sites and we are trying to replicate those remote DNS servers with the central parent or root domain .
The DNS in these sites have been configured in the Active directory zone . When we try to resolve the names of the systems in the parent domian from the remote site through nslookup , it resolves correctly , but it does not replicate the data automatically i.e if one host is added manually on one of the remote sites , it does not respond .
No error messages are logged in the event logs either .

We are stuck badly in this issue . Can i have some help in this regard please ??

Thanks

What's does the Event viewer say? You should be getting some events posted that may lead you to the correct direction or at least post it up here and we can help you.

Space! I have no problems, only challenges.

Does your DNS have the .(root) directory in it? You might want to get rid of it. We had a similiar problem recently. The root is only needed if you don't have internet access. If this is enabled in DNS, it assumes it is the only capable machine to provide DNS. (I found that in Mastering W2K, by Minasi, great book by the way)
You may also want to uninstall and reinstall DNS.
We were also getting an event id:13508 (replication error) which seems to go away after about 4 hours or so (why? who the hell knows) After that error resolved it self, our replication started working again. Also, make sure the DNS server is pointing to it self.
Hope this makes sense and is not too confusing, but its been a long day.

post the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back