Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS records not updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2003
CA
Hi there. I'm inexperienced with DNS servers, so forgive me simple question.

Our DNS server does not have an up-to-date record for our website and e-mail server (They're hosted by a third-party). How do I get this updated? I can't seem to figure it out. We're using Windows 2003 standard.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Was it changed recently? Then its a question of time and that

It may have been changed recently, but it's been 3 days since we've been able to access it. That seems a little long for it to propagate to our DNS servers. Something tells me our DNS server is not getting updated by the outside world...

Paella33, I don't think your post got posted properly. all I see is "There is a"

Anyway, I've spoken to the third party company and they say that nothing has changed as far as the DNS records etc. So I'm stumped as to why this stopped working.

I wanted to say that there is an option within Win DNS server to

paella33, what's wrong? Are you hitting the enter button accidental? As far as the original question, why not just call the third party hosting it, and ask them to do a refresh? If you don't have control of the servers, there isn't a lot you can do.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
Buckle up, it works<---Click here.

If I understand, your website and email server are hosted outside your network. Your private network DNS zone should not be the same as the public zone (ex. public=company.com, corporate=company.local, best practices example).

But, even if they are the same domain name, you need to enter host records in your 2003 server locally, for the public IPs assigned to your webserver, smtp, pop3, imap(if using) by your third party provider.

--jeff

Well, the problem is resolved. Don't ask me how, as my boss used her external consultant to fix it... And didn't tell me what they did.

Anyone wanna hire a junior administrator? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back