Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS record question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathanon

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
GB
Dear All

We have a website and it has been updated, but since we have changed hosting companies, our internal pcs are not showing updates.

I have tried ipconfig /flushdns on the server, but this does not seem to make any difference and the old site is still showing.

Can anyone help please. I am not sure what to do next. I hope I have given enough information

Thanks

Kathy

Who holds the DNS record for your website? An ISP most likely since you are having it hosted. The fault is not yours, it is a DNS replication issue with the internet and also an issue of the ISP's updating those records. Try using NSlookup on the ISP's dns and see where they are pointing you.

it also depends on the ISP because some of them will take anywhere from a few hours to few days to make the changes

LoJACK

Hi Seaspray0 and LoJack

Thanks very much for that, I have been back in touch with the old ISP and apparently they still have a version of our website on their servers and some name servers still seem to be pointing to it, although on the NIC uk site the new ISP is shown with the correct name servers and IP addresses.

I have asked the new ISP to sort the problem out. The changeover was a few weeks ago now

Thanks

Kathy

Curioser and curioser. The weblogs from the old server have been checked and the only IP address visiting the old web page, is our own. All of the pcs on the network end up going to the old ISP, except the server, where I have added the DNS nameservers provided by our ADSL company.

Our server now points to the new webpages but internal pcs to the old webserver. I am not too hot on DNS issues and am not sure what to try next, having flushed the dns and added new dns servers. The network is set to automatically obtain dns.

Anyway I hope I haven't made it too complicated

Thanks in advance for any help

Kathy

I have managed to fix the problem on my network pc by just adding the dns server's ip address, but I would still really appreciate any solution that let me rectify this at the server, rather than do it piecemeal from each pc

Thanks

Kathy

Surely updating the DNS server list on the DHCP server would auto-update clients? Give it a go.

Hmm this is what I meant about not knowing enough about dns. I went to every pc on the network and added the dns server, flushed the dns and then put it back to automatic dns allocation :(

Then I read your post. I KNEW there had to be an easier way. I did get a bit confused as I had released and renewed the DHCP lease but that had no effect.

Well you live and learn and I have been and added the dns servers in DHCP now.

Thank you very much

Kathy

It takes 24-48 hours for DNS changes to propogate across the internet. How long has it been since the change?

Also, have the users flush browser cache and reload. Also, do you have a router with its own page cache?

Luck.

Howard

Do you host your own internal DNS? There could be a static entry for your domain in there that is causing this. Check your DNS servers for this.

Thanks Thepilo

Can you point me to them please? I am off to look now but am very wary of changing dns entries as I am not too sure what I am doing (learning fast though!)

It has still not been resolved after lots of work talking to ISPs etc.

Many thanks

Kathy

Hi everyone, thanks for all the input. It is now sorted out. It was a setting in the forward lookup zone of the dns settings.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back