Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyBoy01

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
AU
Hi Peoples....

Just a query with DNS. When a Win2k work station obtain the Primary inernal and secondary external DNS settings from a Win2k server ie: Primary 192.168.1.1, 202.x.x.x. If the first DNS server fails, does the Work automatically begin to use the secondary/alternate ??

Silly question probably, but I thought I read or was told somewhere that is doesn't !?!?!. If so why is it there ??

Your network clients should not be getting the DNS for your ISP. You should have them configured with your local DNS and have your DNS server use your ISP DNS as forwarders.

Configure a second DC to also have DNS for redundancy.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for you reply Mark.

My many question is really if the a local Win2k machine fails to contact its primary DNS, does it automatically contact the secondary. I probably does, but I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't ??

Yes it does. Where you will run into trouble with your example above is that you probably have clients set to register with DNS. They won't be able to do that with your ISPs DNS.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back