Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS question about GC pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecomp

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2004
US
Here's a qick question;) In dns ->Foward Look Up Zones->Domain.com->GC(global Catalog)->Sites-> Your Site -TCP should you have 2 pionters if you have 2 windows 2000 AD domain controllers?

I only have one "server2"

I had a problem the other day where some of my users could not open there outlook becouse it could not find the global adress list! So I looked at tools->Addrees ->Address Book -> global adresslist-> Properties and found some users had "server 1" and some users had "server 2". Server 1 has exchange2000 "Server 2" use to be our exchange server until we move it to server1 and completly removed it form "server 2".

A simple restart of "server 2" ended up fixing my problem but my outlook clients are still grabing the GC from two different servers and I think I have a few dns issues that need resolved before this happens again.

Any help would be great or good links,
Thanks

Ok update!
It happen again it still dont know what the issue is HELP PLEASE and restarting fix it once again.

what happens if you Reconfigure your outlook mail settings and removing all the profiles and then readding them using Server1?? Did you try that yet???

Update!
rkatyal yes tried that, when this happens you can longer reach the exchange server even though its running. Only when I reboot the server (2) does everything work again.

I check, server2 is the only gc server.So I was thinking if server1 had the gc also(gc being the global catalog) to that this would resolve my issue. Does anyone know how? Does this sound right?

I still don't understand why some clients pick the global address list from server1 and others from server2 if the one server2 is the only gc server.

GC (Global Catalog) and GAL (Global Address List) are 2 different and separate things. The GC relates to the domains Active Directory (and there should only be one). The GAL relates to Exchange.

I think for your issue, you need to visit the problem workstations. Delete the existing email accounts, and then recreate them to point to your Exchange server.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

I could buy into that but its eveyone until I restart server 2. Server 2 is the gc server and server one is the exchange server.

I made both servers gc servers now and added the correct dns pionters but i dunno if that will fix my issue or not it seems to happen ever 20-24 hours it crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back