Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problems? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caustic

MIS
Jun 20, 2001
US
On any given day I seem to have a handful of e-mails sitting in my IMC "outbound messages awaiting delivery" with the error [host unreachable]. One such example today is rolandbryant.com. Accorindg to NS lookup: MX=mail.rolandbryant.com. After weeks these hosts are still not getting mail outbound from our location. My site is not blacklisted.

I can ping the name: mail.rolandbryant.com and it will resolve the IP address of 216.248.7.26 but I get a request timed out error.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this? Do others get the same resolved IP address of 216.248.7.26? Thanks.

To test smtp servers telnet to port 25... here's what i got:

421 SMTP service not available, closing transmission channel

This means there is no SMTP service listening at 216.248.7.26 - i did my own nslookup to verify that i was resolving the same address as you.

cool. so, at least in this case, it's not me it's them. Thanks.

Now you can telnet into port 25 of 216.248.7.26... is the problem fixed?

I've run into problem similar to this. I've got a client who I can do a nslookup on their domain, but I get no MX record if I do a set q=MX. I can telnet to port 25 of the IP that kicks back from the nslookup, so this is their SMTP server... but Exchange still NDR's to them. I can use my Exchange Server's POP Server to send to them... but have NDRs from Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back