Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvtohurt

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2001
US
My WIN 2K Server is a DNS server.
It has an static IP of 192.168.0.10
When I try pinging my server by its name from another computer it pings another bogus IP address and its request times out.

I set the other computer to have an IP of 192.168.0.3
DNS is pointed to 192.168.0.10 and mask is 255.255.255.0

When I run nslookup I get and error saying can't find server name for the address 192.168.0.10 : non existent domain.
Active directory is installed on this server and I can't even log my workstations on.

Help!!

How about enabling RIP on both.Or set a default gateway to point to the other server.

Why is it that when I ping my DNS server I get a bogus IP address instead of 192.168.0.10?

Now, I'm not sure about this... check you client domain name suffix. Make sure that it is in the same ZONE as that configured on your DNS server.

Quick way to check:

run IPCONFIG /ALL and look at the primary DNS suffix. Is there a ZONE on your DNS server that has the same name?

Other things to check:

On the client, type NSLOOKUP and hit enter. A few lines of text should display...like this:

J:\>nslookup
Default Server: dnsServer1.microsoft.com
Address: 10.101.10.51

This is telling you who you are looking to to resolve names. MAke sure that when you run this, it is pointing to where you think it should.

Also, when using NSLOOKUP try to add the domain name information. For example:

NSLOOKUP server1.microsoft.com

instead of NSLOOKUP server1

hope some of this helps...
Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Try adding a host file with the name mapped to the IP address of the server. Either in DNS on the server or on the local machine your are trying ping from.

Is Windows 2K Server DNS service faulty?
I have a weird Ip address acting as the name server.
My computer WIN2k machine is Multi-holmed.
Private address: 192.168.0.10
Public address: 63.207.???.???

When I ping my own computer( ping server)
I get a different IP address
"pinging server[206.26.212.23]" instead of
pinging server[192.168.0.10]
or something like that

DNS is set on the public interface as
206.13.29.20 primary
206.13.30.20 secondary

anyone??

When starting the Nslookup.exe utility, the following error may occur:

*** Can't find server name for address w.x.y.z: Non-existent domain

This error occurs when there is no PTR record for the name server's IP address. When Nslookup.exe starts, it does a reverse lookup to get the name of the default server. If no PTR data exists, this error message is returned. To correct make sure that a reverse lookup zone exists and contains PTR records for the name servers.

Source is

Every setting seems ok.
I got all the PTR records pointing to the right server.
but I get a strange IP address on my internal NIC card.
On the Name servers property I get 2 IP address.
One is the assigned 192.168.0.10 but the other one is
66.51.195.138. Now where did this come from.
When I remove this latter address it comes back when I exit and return the Namer server property.

When I ping my server name I get the address of 66.51.195.168 instead of 192.168.0.10 which is a static IP on my internal NIC.(read above)

I guess I'll try to restart my DNS service and maybe that will reset things.

ROb.

(Resolved Host) 66.51.195.168.dslextreme.com
Would this be the internet provider you use?
If so when you ping the computer and get this number maybe the router, if you have one is causing the problem.

DSLextreme is my ISP but I don't have a router set up.

When you ping by the server name the address you get back is the ISP DNS servers address.
It seems to resolve names by going through the ISP DNS and not through yours.
Have you got the preferred DNS server set to your server and the forward to the ISP's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back