Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBuys

Programmer
Jun 18, 2001
US
I have 3 computers on a small network in my home using a Linksys router to share my cable modem connection. For the most part, everything works fine, except that on my two Win2k PRO machines (my win2k server is unaffected) I'm having problems with DNS. For some reason, at times the machines will stop connecting to the DNS servers. This happens randomly, sometimes not for a couple days, sometimes every couple hours. Services like Instant Messanger, mIRC, and FTP/HTTP to a direct IP address work fine but it will stop resolving the names so I'm unable to get to websites the normal way. Rebooting the machine solves the problem until it randomly does it again. I checked my Event Logs and the message is listed below:

Event ID: 11050
Source: dnscache
The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.

There really doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to when/why it's doing this. If anyone has had this problem and can suggest a solution I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Whats your 3rd machine and what internet sharing method are you using, what machine is hosting this connection? Whats your IP scheme?

3rd Machine is Win2k Adv. Server.

I have one IP address from my cable company (road runner) and my router acts as a DHCP server and shares the connection. Works great when it works but I can't figure out why it randomly does this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back