Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Problem??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosee

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2001
US
We have one group of users using Windows XP and connecting to our domain server running Windows 2000 server. This group of users couldn't go to a certain web site. For example:
At this point, only that group of users who is on that domain and with the domain login is having this problem. The domain name is cmhhs.org. Above web site is our agency's web site hosting by a local internet provider. Other user who is not using that domain login has no problem to get into above web site.

I don't know what is wrong and why. I think DNS forwarder setting on the domain system may be the one cause this. But I am not sure. We had outside IT vendor did the server configuration last year. I have contacted the vendor regarding the problem and haven't get the answer yet.

If you have any ideas or solutions, please help me. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I also had a similar problem this year at my school. Only few computers could access our library system website. On the computers that could get to the site, they had a different DNS server address entered. My local server's DNS IP for Primary, and the ISP as an alternate under TCP/IP properties. So only those could get to that site because the DNS from the ISP had an updated DNS cache. And my DNS server wasn't updating it's Forward/reverse lookup zones with the ISP like it should every week or so.

I ended up having to get ahold of our ISP and work out the issue. I'm hoping you wont have to go that far and have it that difficult, but you could get ahold of them if nothing else works. I'm sure they will have a good understanding of what the problem might be.

I suspect 00071491 is on the right track.
As a workaround, you could make a HOST file entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back