Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

larshald

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
DK
I have a problem with a machine running windows XP Pro and/or resolving DNS names.

Configuration:
Windows XP Pro

DHCP addressing from the router - also hands out DNS servers and gateway all is ok correct. (Other machins browse the internet)

TCP/IP is runnig and it is possible to ping servers by their ip addresses both internaly on the network and on the ingernet. It is not possible to ping hosts on the internet by their name ( When i try i get an error message "Could not find the host Check the name, and try again.

I have seen this problem on another windows XP machine, and the solution then was to re-install windows XP, but i would like not to do this, if there is a bug somewhere in XP...

Has anyone seen this problem, and if so, do you have a solution ?

\Lars

---
Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogic, with just a little more effort.
---

See if this helps. Copy the DNS entries obtained by the router and manually enter them in TCP/IP properties for the adapter.

Check while you are there that if a manual entry was made for the default Gateway that it is correct and not pointing inadvertantly to another subnet. If it is correct remove the entry.

Do an IPCONFIG /release and /renew sequence and try again.

Also, make certain that IE or whatever browser is not set to use a proxy server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back