Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markettm

MIS
Aug 16, 2000
US
Hey everyone, hope somebody has an idea for me here.

I have set up a new 2003 AD here at work and am having some issues joining new workstations to that domain.

We currently have another AD set up here and one of those servers hands out DHCP to every client.

I created a secondary copy of the new 2003 domain's zone on our main AD.

From the DHCP server (which also runs DNS), I am able to perform a sucessful lookup of my new 2003 AD domain. As well, I can sucessfully lookup my new 2003 AD domain from the workstation I am trying to join.

I can also ping the domain controllers and there is no firewall or anything between these machines.

So it doesn't appear I have any connectivity issues. When I hard code the 2003 AD's DNS server into the client it is able to join no problem. I obviously don't want to have to do this on every workstation. I'm stumped???

-mike

Hi Smorgan11, yes they all have their A records registered. However, they don't show up in the Reverse Lookup Zone I created, but the DCs do.

Is that a problem?

they have there ptr records though in reverse dns right?

no, actually they don't have PTR records. only the Host(A)

what am I missing?

try creating an A record for a machine and then choose the option to create a PTR (it asks when you create an A record)

and just see if this allows you join this machine to the domain

actually i have tried going to it's A record and checking to update the PTR record, but it doesn't seem to create one in the reverse lookup zone.

i repoint some of the other DNS servers that the client is getting from DHCP and they are able to join the domain now.

however, login seems a tad slow. there's minimal settings in the default domain gpo and one i created for the ou they are in (which only enabled verbose logons)

i really appreciate your help here Smorgan11!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back