Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS or Not DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeko

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2001
US
I inherited a network running Window NT 4.0 Server as the File & Print Server and Exchange 5.5 Server. They were running 12 static IP addresses, with NO firewall, now I have everyone behind a firewall including the server.

Do I configure DNS behind the firewall? I have a Primary DNS and Secondary DNS from the ISP. What’s a good step-by-step web site or book on configuring DNS on Windows NT 4.0 Server?

What benefit is there for the overhead you would create for such a small net.

???

craig

neeko,

I think you may be getting confused as to the purpose of a DNS server. Dns servers resolve names to numbers, so you can type in yahoo.com instead of x.x.x.x

If your running a website inhouse (let's say mycompany.com) it may be necessary to run DNS. (How will internet users find mycompany.com? Your DNS server) Usually your ISP can help you with that though;

If your company only needs DNS for basic web surfing, just use the DNS servers from the ISP. (There are gajillions of DNS servers out there, I could give you a list of a dozen or so to use if you like)

Microsoft has alot on the subject:

Have fun

Shipmate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back