Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns on lan side of router

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyranoses

Programmer
Jul 29, 2003
US
I asked this question on the dns forum but got no replies.

For many years I have run two webs sites off two computers. I only have one ip address so I have dns configured on one of my computers to make sure the correct web site is served to the client. Everything worked fine until I switched to a new wireless router so that one of my computers can be upstairs from the other. The router(netgear wgt624) will not allow any http requests through unless I configure port forwarding. Only one server can be designated so I chose the one with the dns server thinking all things would work as before. No such luck. The second web site cannot be seen outside the lan, though all computers on the lan can see it. Is there a workaround from within dns or iis?

When an http request comes in to the router and is sent to the designated ip what happens to it there? Does it use the local dns server at all? It seems like if the request ever got to my dns server, then the server would send it on to the other computer. Am I wrong in thinking this?

My router lists two public dns servers for name resolution. I have dns set up inside the lan. It is only configured with the local ip addresses. For example virtualvb.com is assigned to 192.168.2.3. If i open port 53 on my router will my dns server then be a public server? I thought public dns servers had to be registered somewhere. Would I have to also change my public dns listings in the router to include mine? If this would solve my problem, what kind of security issues would I face?

Ok, well I currently have 2 web sites running on a server 2003 box, and 2 domain names registered through an online company, all i have done is opened both port 53 and port 80, and set the domain names to get their DNS from my server and everything seams to be working correctly. I don't know if this would work for you but it was just a thought.

cheers
Mike.

Michael Holroyd
MCSE Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back