Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS on Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

telep

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2005
IT
We have a win2003 domain controller. In our lan, pc clients use a host file to connect 4 specific external servers (that do not belongs to our domain).
How can i use DC to "replace" the host file?

I'd get rid of the hosts file and use DNS instead.

Iain

i don't know how...

Under forward lookup zones, right click your domain and select 'New Alias(cname)' This will allow you to create a DNS name for an internal or external host. It's an alias, just points the name of your choice to the host.

it does not function.
i need to tell DC "when hosts search for jack, point to 10.0.0.1" for example.

I believe I understand what your trying to do.

//i need to tell DC "when hosts search for jack, point to 10.0.0.1" for example.

Thats exactly what an Alias does, I can for example create an Alias in my DNS that says when user pings or connects to googlegods it points to google.com. Its stating that googlegods.yourdomain.com points to google.com

ok. but how can i set an ip address in the Alias(CNAME) mask?
it ask me
-alias name (uses parent domain if left blank)
-fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for target host

i need clients points to an ip address when search a specific host (that does not belong to my domain!)

Not sure i understand what you mean by "external servers". If they have internet routable addresses your DNS forwarders would take care of your lookups. But i am guessing if that was the case you wouldnt be posting this question as it wouldnt be an issue. So by "external servers" you must mean a server outside of your domain but located within your LAN possible by VPN or frame connections. So I offer this solution for said issue. You need to setup a new or multiple new forward lookup zones and possibly reverse lookup zones if you wish. Example, if you want to connect to mail.notmydomain.com you would create a zone for notmydomain.com and add a host(A) record in that zone for mail with its IP. Do that for each unique domain and you should accomplish what you want. Also, dont forget to remove the enteries in the host files, your machines look at the host file first before turning to the DNS server for lookups.

Hope this helps,

RoadKi11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back