Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS not resolving

Status
Not open for further replies.

cydian

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
Well, actually it is, but not sure where to post this, so......
I have a W2K8 R2 server that I inherited.
The local domain name was setup with a .com FDQN which matches an external web site.
EG-local is server.ourdomain.com and external web site is at ourdomain.com.
So, of course they cannot reach the web site since it resolves to the local system.
Easy fix, I thought. Just add an A record into the local DNS pointing the external web site of the host.
I do that and I can correctly ping and it resolves to the external IP address. But I still cannot reach the site.
What I see happening is that when I (from any browser anywhere on the network) put into the address bar and hit enter, the address I input is truncated to just ourdomain.com and all I can get to is the local IIS.
Why is the address being truncated like that in the browser address bar? It does not matter what browser I use or where on the network I try it from, the address is always truncated to remove the www.
I am at a loss... any advice?

It sounds to me like you've got a renaming line of code in your IIS web.config file either on the windows server or the web server, assuming it is an MS site. If it's a Linux site, then that'd be in an .htaccess file quite probably.

I've no real experience on the MS IIS side of things, but from what I read, that's the equivalent of the .htaccess file on Linux web servers.

Wherever it resides, it does definitely sound like a renaming issue - which will often be tied to the redirects.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

If the server is on your local LAN than just create an A record for the server name with the internal IP address and a cname or alias for www

server A internal IP address

www Alias(CNAME) server.ourdomain.com

That's what I did and it works for me

Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back