Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS/Netbios outside AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liaquat

Technical User
Dec 20, 2003
US
I noticed if you have a Machine in a 2003 domain (DNS &AD) you are able to ping all machines with their NetBios names.
But if you take a machine that is not part of the domain (OR different domain) and point it to the 2003 domain's DNS address you can not ping the machines with their names. You actually have to use the full FQDN suffix like A.ABC.Local
IS there a way to Ping it by just its Netbios names without joining that Domain OR using WINS/LMHOST

Thanks

Could you explain a little more? I can ping google.com, and I don't belong to their domain.

C:\>ping google.com
Pinging google.com [216.239.37.99] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.239.37.99: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=237
Reply from 216.239.37.99: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=237
Reply from 216.239.37.99: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=237
Reply from 216.239.37.99: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=237
Ping statistics for 216.239.37.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 80ms, Average = 65ms

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

is actually a FQDN and not a NetBios name.
I'll try to make my scenario more clear.
Your machine is a member of a (2003 domain) called Example.Local and you are able to PING all machines on the network (Same domain) with just their computer names (Remember there is no WINS and LMhost in use) the DNS is actually resolving the names for you.
Now, how would you ping machines from other domains eg DomainB.local with our using PING "Machine.DomainB.local"
If I had WINS on the network I could have only used PING Machine and should give me the reply.

Summary: How can I PING a machine with JUST its NetBIOS name without using WINS OR LMHOST from a different domain on 2003 Platform.

Thanks so much!

Just enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP on the TCP/IP advance properties. I assume both domain are in the same subnet.

Thanks for your Input. No they are actually in two different subnets.

In my opinion, you need WINS/LMHOST for routed browsing. Router as a default blocks any broadcast (even netbios broadcast) to minimize network(broadcast) traffic. It depends on your router but you can open up all Broadcast/Announcement and try because I never done it before, but doing this will defeat the primary purpose of a router and that is to isolate broadcast from one network(broadcast domain) to another.

Watch out for the DNS suffix, i.e. the 'domainname.com' bit. When you ping by host name, i.e 'ping a', your computer adds what it believes is it's domainname.com suffix, so it is really pinging 'a.domainname.com'
If your computer is not configured with 'domainname.com' as a suffix, you can add it in, go into your network card, tcp/ip properties, advanced, dns, and add the domain suffix.

Now, if you want to ping the domain name itself, i.e. 'google.com', this is different. With Windows DNS servers you can set this up, by adding a host record with a blank host name, then the DNS server will respond to a domain name only query. Google.com is probably not going to do this.

Michael Gallo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back