Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS, Name Servers, and Zones... Oh My...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumsticks

Programmer
Jun 5, 2004
US
Hello,

To tell you right off the bat, this is new to me... Sorry.

I have set up a DNS server on my Win 2003 server.
I'm trying to figure out what exactly I am missing in getting my website to show correctly.

I registered my website with godaddy.com and I was told by their support that if I have my own DNS server, then I do not need to use their Name Servers, the trouble is that I have tried to type in the WAN IP Address to point to my WebServer with DNS on it, and it tells me there is an error. Plus, I have to have TWO of these IP addresses?
I'm stuck on this and any help is GREATLY appreciated in getting me up and running.

I have a router, which I have already opened port 53 to point to the webserver.
I'm attempting to host multiple domains on one IP address, however, I'm just trying to get ONE working. lol

I hope my dumping of information is helpful.

Thank You,
Drumsticks

OK, after I found bluntbill's post "DNS Implementation Help", he had the answer I was looking for regarding the Name Servers.

It involved me needing to change the A file on godaddy.com to my WAN IP Address in order to point the domain to my DNS webserver.

So, now I just hope that creating a second domain with the same IP is identical to that of the first. gulp...

Regards,
Drumsticks

I'm glad it helped you out :)

visit the thread I created if you have more info, or to get more info.

bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back