Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Lookup up question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hh

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2003
US
I'm trying to figure out why my DNS server isn't working under nslookup while trying to resolve by ip address. From a command prompt I type "nslookup" and I get DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds *** Can't find Server Name for Address 10.0.0.x*** ***Default servers are not available
Default Server: Unknown
Address: 10.0.0.x which is my internal DNS server. It's behind a router so I'm using NAT translation. Do I need to forward certain ports (other than http ) to this server? I can look up the server internally by name using nslookup but it won't do the reverse by looking up via ip to get the name. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like your router is blocking DNS. You do need to allow the DNS port.

Are you trying to access your DNS from outside your network? If so, are you doing your own DNS hosting?

bob

I know what I know and that's all I know.

Thank you. Already had the port opened via NAT going to the internal DNS server. I'm accessing from my internal DNS server for everything. All servers are pointing to it and it points to my ISP's DNS server.

Jason Redman
USR

1)Can you ping the number?
2)Run a whois from and see where it maps.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

When I ping it comes back as in Bellsouth's range. It is a static ip but I believe the Linksys router does not broadcast, although I do have the port open for NAT translation.

JR

You're sure the port is open?

Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Yep, the port is open via NAT.

Jason

The DNS request is the one made thru port 53. The reply comes thru a random udp port greater than 1023. I don't believe it will work thru NAT...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Bummer, any way I can specify a port? Don't suppose this could be affecting exchange which will not let me send a file over 1 (meg)???? I can send to most emails but when I attach a file it get's sent back. The isp says the limit is 10 megs so I shouldn't have any problems and there is no limiter in exchange. Would the DNS response have something to do with this???

Thanks for all the help.

Jason

Yes, went through no problem.

Jason

How about deleting the problem users account and re-creating it on exchange? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

It happens on everyone's accounts.

Jason

Do you have a test box? If so, you could set up Exchange with a test domain, put it on the other side of your router and see if you can send this attachment. If it makes it thru to there, it's either the ISP or the recipient you're sending to....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Excellent Idea. It will give me some practice on setting up exchange 2000 which everyone says it such a pain.

Jason

Jason,

I'm sorry, but can you restate your original question? Do you have a DNS question or an Exchange question?

From you other comments, your DNS would appear to be working fine. If you are sending other email and surfing the internet it works. If you allowed port 53 to go out, the reply to any request should be allowed to return w/o being blocked.

How are you specifying port blocking--access-lists, NAT program, or other? Are you allowing SMTP or POP3?

What type of router are we talking about here?

I know what I know and that's all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back