Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Lookup to Single Domain Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2003
Hi everyone,

I have a strange situation with my Windows 2003 DNS servers. We have two internal DNS servers that use recursion to root hint servers only to do external lookups, the servers do not have fowarders specified. These servers are sitting behind a Cisco Pix 525 Firewall running software version 6.3.4. We have been running in this configuration for years with no problems.

Recently, one of our business partners split their external domain into two namespaces, partner1.com and sub.partner2.com. The partner1.com is still their primary namespace, however they use the sub.partner2.com namespace for their email addresses.

Since they have made this change, we will lose the ability to resolve either one of their domain names, the queries will time out. We can resolve anything else on the internet, just not their two domains. Restarting the DNS service on our DNS servers does temporarily solve this issue, however at a random time between 24 hours and one week, the queries will fail again and the services will have to be restarted again.

Also, in the cached DNS information about those zones, whenever the lookups fail, all of the A records are gone. All we are left with in cache is NS and MX records, but they point to names, not IP addresses. When the lookups are resolving correctly, all of the domain information is in cache, including the A records.

I have already tried the "dnscmd /config /EnableEDnsProbes 0" workaround and that did not solve the problem. Another interesting point is I put a sniffer on the server, and whenever the lookups are failing, the server is never even sending out queries to attempt to resolve the names. If I delete the domains from cache, I get mixed results, sometimes it works and sometimes not, however if I restart the DNS service, it ALWAYS works for a while.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am having a similar problem with my 2003 DNS server. Resolution to certain domains doesn’t work until I restart the DNS services. I reinstalled the DNS services and rebuilt the forward and reverse zones and still no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back