Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkITMan

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
US
I have a W2K server that is registered in the DNS tables of the DC. The W2K server is able to obtain Active Directory and such, but is not resolved in the DNS naming scheme. How do I fix this and what would cause this issue?

Some more info would be helpful, did you install DNS on the DC? How is your domain setup? What happens when you ping the ip address?

Try restarting dns on the machine, you can also make dsn automatically update itself so the machine name should be resolving internally to an ip address.

try ipconfig /registerdns on your local machine

-b

I ran ipconfig/registerdns on the machine and it said it updated the DNS, but still no change. The server in question is an e-mail server that is linked to the DC. A and MX records show up on the DC in the forward area, so I don't know what the problem is.

What I just noticed was that the A and MX records in the DC (DEF.com) show ABC.DEF.com, but the address registered on the web is ABC.DEFGHIJKLM.net. Could this be why we can't send e-mails out of the system? What would I need to do to resolve this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back