Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

meby

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2003
I've noticed recently that my network can't get to a few websites. When I try to browse or ping that site it says not available. However, when I change the DNS address on my PC from our DNS server to one of SBC's DNS servers I can browse and ping the site just fine.

I've checked our DNS server and can't figure out why this would be happening. I can browse to most sites but occassionaly we'll get a site we can't hit.

Any suggestions on what to check would be greatly helpful. I am running Windows 2k for my server and Windows XP workstations.

Mark

Do you have SBC's DNS set up as a forwarder for your DNS server? Are you sure you're handing out the correct information via DHCP?

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I'm not a DNS guru (I've inherited this job) how do I set it up as a forwarder?

Open DNS on the server under Administrative Tools, right-click on the Server Name and go to properties. There should be a tab called forwarders. Your SBC DNS address should be in there.

Or you could install the DNS Root Hints. That should take care of it too.

Adding the forward information took care of the problem. Thank you for the help.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back