Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Issues? Or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJarman

MIS
Oct 31, 2003
US
I hate to bring this here, but I don't know where else to go. We are experiencing what we believe to be DNS issues in our network. Here is one example of how this problem manifests itself:
On a user XP Pro workstation, an intranet web-based app that requires AD authentication won't start after a reboot of the PC. If you change *ANY* DNS setting in the TCP/IP Properties, and close the Properties, the app works and the system connects back to the server. You can do nothing more than take out our DNS Svr IP and then type in the *same* IP. Whatever you do, the app works after the change is made and the TCP/IP Properties dialog box is closed. However, a reboot will cause the app not to work once again -- until something is changed in the TCP/IP Properties on the box. The link to the app uses an IP address, not the FQDN. We *cannot* change that setting.

Our Network:
Windows 2003 Server - DC
Windows 2003 Server - DNS
Workstations (using this app) are ALL Win XP Pro

If there's anything else you need to know, LMK. THANKS for your assistance!

Wierd,
Anything in the Event viewer pointing to this issue?
Have you tried ensureing the dns client service is enabled at start up?
Additionally from a command prompt try the following:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
If either errors out utilize the following:
net start dnscache
preceeded by the flush & register.
Hope this helps.

Paul

Paul,
Sorry for the delayed reply. I tried the DNS flush, with no appreciable effect. Also, no errors in Event Log after flushing and registering DNS on the workstation. I forgot to check the DNS Client Svc, but will do so. THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back