Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Issues on Windows 2003 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motiv

ISP
Dec 30, 2007
US
Hello,

I am running into some odd DNS issues.

We can resolve most names, but for example not amazon.com, npr.org, securityfocus.com to name a few.

We are running Microsoft DNS on a Windows 2003 machine.

Everything was working fine until today.

There are forwarders setup to two other nameservers in the other local domain (we have two)
DNS Server is set to listen on All IP addresses
Recursion is not disabled
Root hints name servers are populated and I've resolved all of them from the DNS server
A simple query against the DNS server fails, but a recursive lookup passes using the Monitoring tab under DNS server properties.

I dont understand why the simple query fails - I can run nslookup from the DNS servers and resolve the computer name, other computer names in the AD, yahoo.com, google.com, aol.com, etc.

So - main issue is we cannot get to
Ive cleared the cache, restarted the DNS server, checked Event Viewer for anything related and nothing shows of importance.

The DNS server itself the NICs are configured to use itself for DNS with no secondary on the NIC.

Can anyone give me a few things I could try to get this resolved? Ive tested amazon.com from centralops.net as well as through free Internet proxies and I know the website is not DOWN.

Could it be an ISP issue with Time Warner Telecom?

Thanks

Also if you need anymore info please just post and let me know

Thanks

It could be a latency problem with the DNS forwarders you are using. Instead of using forwarders, why not do away with them all together?

We had similiar problems like this until we got rid of our forwarders. Turned out that the forwarder systems we were pointing to would go through periods of slow response or no response. WE took forwarders out of the setup and that eliminated the problems for us.

Good luck,

Thanks for the reply. Ive tried removing the forwarders and then restarted the DNS server but still unable to ping/browse to amazon.com.

Do you know the proper method for removing the forwarders? Remove - then restart the DNS server, or is there some other method I should be using?

Thanks

I just resolved the issue by removing the forwarders that were in place and replacing them with our ISPs nameservers. Cool.

Thanks

Glad I could help. To answer your previous question, we simply removed all forwarders and then we cleared the cache on the server and the workstations, and that's it.

Our DNS servers simply use root hints to resolve everything.

Glad you got it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back