Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
US
I just started to do work for this company. They have a windows 2000 server just being use as a file/printing server plus DNS. Router is doing DHCP. The company's internal domain and website is call DHC.net. When i configure the windows clients (2000 and XP) to point to their internal 2000 DNS server for resolution all clients can't get their email plus they can't get to their companys internet website, but they can browse the internet fine. The fix is to have clients pointing to their ISP public DNS servers which i don't want to do. Do i need to add a zone to my DNS configuration. Any help or links greatly appreciated, thank you.

Just go into your dns records and add a mail.dhc.net and point them to your online pop, web and smtp servers

Micah A. Norman

You will have to create the PTR and MX records for the internal servers [web, mail [MX], file/print servers] as minoad stated, but to head off any future problems with latency and DNS caches out in the wild, you'll need some extra configuration.

On the server running the DNS service, open up your DNS MMC and make your forward and reverse zones. Add the PTR and MX records for the domain servers and make sure those entries appear in your reverse zones. Ensure your domain name is in the forward zone to allow the client DDNS to work properly. Create more reverse zones if you have different subnets. Right click the server name in the DNS MMC and select properties. On the Interfaces tab, select "Listen on All IPs". On the Forwarders tab, enable forwarding and put the ISPs IP address in. What this does is tell your server that if it, being the DNS for your domain, can't find or doesn't control the DNS queries from the clients, forward those requests to the IP you entered in the forwarding tab. Basically, hand it over to the ISP who is probably running at least one cache server for DNS queries. Also ensure you have DHCP *AND* DNS client services running on the DNS server. MS DNS and DDNS uses the DHCP client to pass the DNS info. Doesn't make a lot of sense on first glance, but that's the way it's designed and works.

On the client side, make sure the DNS entry points *only* to the DNS server in your domain - NO secondary or "rollover" DNS servers. You can also make that entry on your DHCP server for when the IP is pushed, but make sure your DNS server is the only one the client uses and check the client side to be sure of the entries coming from DCHP. You also must have the DHCP client and DNS client services running on the client machines for DNS & DDNS to work properly. No reboots necessary on the server side, but reboot the clients to get the DNS change from the DHCP server and to refresh all the settings cleanly.

After making your changes and giving the clients the boot and logging in, go in to your DNS MMC on the DNS server and open the forward lookup zones and expand your domain name. When the clients log in and are connecting properly, you will see the client machines adding themselves to your zone as hosts using DDNS. Works pretty slick and you can walk away from the server without worries.

Thanks guys for the advice, I will get back with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back