Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
US
My Windows 2000 server (172.16.1.1) is being used as a dns server. I have setup forwarders pointing to my public ISP dns servers(208.x.x.x). When i specified the dns options for my dhcp clients to use my internal dns server it only works for awhile then clients can't get out to the internet anymore even unable to ping any routable addresses. The only resolution I have for my clients is to point to the public ISP DNS servers in dhcp options. I check in event viewer and states the following error: "Registration of the DNS record.'gc_msdcs.JJG-CORP.NET 600 in A 172.16.1.1 failed with the following error: DNS server unable to interpret format" Any clues or links to help, thanks.

in the properties of your name server's NIC, is it pointing to itself or your ISP for primary dns resolution? it should be pointing to itself...

The 2000 server is pointing to ISP for primary dns resolution.

As Bronto said, your 2000 DNS server should point to itself for primary name resoultion and let the forwarders handle your Internet name resoultion. This should solve your problem.

Patty [ponytails2]

I change my 2000DNS server to point to itself for primary name resolution..work for awhile..but after a couple of days still having same problem,(clients loose connection to internet) but im getting different error this time in event viewer; "The DNS server for this DC does not support dynamic DNS, add the DNS records from the file '%systemroot%\system32\config\netlogon.dns' to the DNS server serving the domain referenced in that file. Any more suggestions, thanks alot for all your help so far.

Just to verify..

Have all TCP/IP setting of your local domain point to local DNS servers. Don't have ANY client TCP/IP setting point to the ISP DNS server.

This includes your local DNS server. Your local DNS server should NOT be pointing to the ISP DNS server either (except for in the forwarders area of DNS config)..In other words, your local TCP/IP DNS settings should always point to 172.16.1.1 If you don't have a secondary server, leave secondary blank.

This will force all servers and workstations to try to resolve addresses through your local DNS server. More importantly, the Windows 2K based machines will REGISTER themselves to your local DNS server. You DON'T want your client computers trying to register with a forign DNS server... If it does register with a foriegn DNS server, your will not have the record locally; hence, your won't be able to resolve this record locally.

-Hope this helps...please include Event viewer EventID's...we can help better with the ID number and the machine it came from...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Do you have a router? Try pointing your forwarder to the router instead of your local isp dns server.

We'll im going to tried what everyone suggested. I'll keep you updated, thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back