Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS issue - Internal and external domains with same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkroyal

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2003
US
I have a DNS issue that I hope someone can help me with.

Unfortunately, my internal and external domains have the same name (companyname.com) and I cannot access our externally hosted web site from within the domain. The only way I can access it is by entering its full URL including the external IP address. This is obviously some kind of DNS issue. Under my DNS settings, I have companyname.com under the Forward Lookup Zone and a FQDN of sbs.companyname.com on our external IP address.

How can change I DNS so that my users can access our external site from within the domain? I want them to be able to just enter
Any help - as idiot-proof as possible please as I find DNS some kind of black art - gratefully received.
Edit/Delete Message

On your internal DNS server create a new host A record in your forward lookup zone, call it add the ip address of you external host server.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Yes, Roadki11 is correct.

Yup, literally name it www.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

When I create the new host A record in DNS, there is an option to 'Create associated (PTR) record.' Do I select this or not?

Umm the PTR is used for reverse lookups, because the is only for your internal users you don't need the PTR record created, if you were hosting the DNS for your site yourself (which I wouldn't honestly do with the way your DNS is) then your ISP would be the one to create a PTR record for the hosted service.

PTR records allow for the IP Address to DNS Name lookup, where you would have the IP address for a server and you wanted to know the DNS name for it.

PTR records are not created by the domain registrars but actually the owners of the IP range, you would need to go to somewhere like or for a clearer view on who owned the IP address you were using.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back