Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS is necessary to creat a 2nd dc in a remote site

Status
Not open for further replies.

charanb

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
I have a win2k dc in ny, the same server is also a DNS server.
i have created a member server in nj & i will be promoting
this server to dc for local office.
do i need to install dns /wins on this nj server?
any help/doc /guide appreciated...

you don't have to, but it would be highly advisable for redundancy purposes. especially since it's in another location.

...and if you make it an AD-integrated DNS server, you don't even have to worry about setting up and getting your primary-secondary zone transfers working.
Dana

Side note to Bronto-
Do you know if I change my Win2k DDNS server from "standard Primary" to "AD-integrated" if it will affect the server's ability to replicate (zone transfers) with non Windows DNS servers? (since the data is no longer stored in text file format) -Dana

Hi Dana. It should be fine, as the replication info is sent via standard protocol(s). I used to have a couple of Solaris servers slaving off my AD integrated 2K's, and it was no problem (although I later changed my AD's to Standards, I just like that better).

Dana are you using BIND? Bind supports SRV and Dynamic updates but doesn't support secure updates, used by AD-integrated. Bronto have you come accross this yet.

page 2, fourth bullet states that it doesn't.

I haven't found an MS article detailing this though. Furthermore, I haven't extended past MS platforms so it was an interesting question Dana raised.

Your thoughts? Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

That's true Hewissa, thanks. I failed to mention that I was not using secure updates. Fortunately, all servers were internal, so it was not deemed too big of an issue.

Hewissa, thanks for the input. Luckily this will be all internal server as well so no secure updates.
(BIND 9.2 on RedHat 7.3)

Any thoughts and/or reasons against using AD-integrated DDNS?

charanb- I didn't mean to co-opt your thread. I am hoping your questions was already answered to your satisfaction?

thanks,
Dana

Dana & every one who contribute to my Q...
yes & no
Basicaly what i got is that i can configured DNS on my nj server but point to my dns server in ny.

So are you forwarding all DNS requests to the NY server?
Or did you setup a Primary-secondary relationship between the DNS servers? (Or are you going with AD-integration)

Dana

Dana:
what is prim & seconday dns ralationship.
but my primary dns running ADint...
any doc & help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back