Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS innop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisk96x

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2002
US
Hello All,

I have a Windows 98SE PC connected to a cable modem. My problem is that when I try to connect to a web site via Internet Explorer I get a "Page not found" error. Every page I try does this. I can ping out just fine and I can ping the ip addresses of the web site I'm trying to view. The modem connection is good, I tried another PC on it.

It seems to me the DNS is not working properly. Any suggestions?

ChrisK

You need to either set your DNS (from within Network Properties) to point to your cable providers DNS server, or set your own DNS server up. I would opt for the second option, as the cable companies have been known to have problems.

It's real easy to do. You could use some crappy old computer and set up any of a number of Linux distributions to do the job. That box could also then act as a firewall/mail server/web server/VPN/ or whatever...

Hope that helps.

heheh "set up your own dns server" that is a little bit techinical and overkill...

are you set to dhcp in the tcpip properties?
you may need to set a dns server up in your tcpip properties or just set it to dhcp.
look to your internet provider to find out which way it should be set, although you can try dhcp if you want, and reboot to see if it works.

or you can set up a dns server, but that is overkill... FatesWebb

if you do what I suggested it is not my fault...

This can sometimes happen if the TCP/IP stack becomes corrupted. The best way to solve it is go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup. Uncheck Dialup Networking and Apply. You may have to reboot. Repeat the procedure, but recheck Dial-up Networking.

Although you are not using Dial-up Networking, this will force a reinstall of TCP/IP, the Winsock files, etc. This usually works, but if not I have another procedure which should help. Just let us know.

to: fateswebb RE: your "heheh "set up your own dns server" that is a little bit techinical and overkill..." comment.

A DNS server, running linux, can be set up by booting to the cd rom, hitting the Enter key 5 times, typing one word, and waiting 20 minutes. Is that too technical for you???

On a functionaly Windows server, it can be done with 4 mouse clicks and one re-boot.

Let me know if you need some help doing that...

To All,

Rwise2112 had the correct fix for this. I uninstalled dialup networking, rebooted and reinstalled it. Problem solved.

ChrisK96X

malden:

True, a linux box may be an easy and a lovely solution -- I do the same -- but it implies buying extra hardware and sounds like it would be overkill in this situation -- where it is a software fault and is better solved than throwing hadware/software at the problem.
----------------------------
Please don't mistake this for a flame, only trying to help in this particular situation to which rwise2112 had a simple, easy solution.

Have a star rwise2112. [smurf]

I agree with most....setting up a DNS server sounds like overkill....especially when you are paying your provider to give you error free access to the internet.

Look at provider documentation and correct faulty sdettings within the TCP/IP properties in Network neighborhood. Call their Tech Assistance line..

Once working...then experiment with your own home network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back