Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS hosting PTR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hello,

We run dns for a client's domain. Their email server is at their building and they have a different IP than us obviously. They're at 216.xxx.xxx.xxx and we're at 69.xxx.xxx.xxx. How do I do a ptr host file for them(bind 9.x.x)?

Thanks.

First, make sure that your nameservers are authoritative for the domain. Typically the ISP handles RDNS.

Assuming that your nameservers are, you'd create a zone and records normally. Assume the network is 216.1.2.0:

zone "0.2.1.216.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "/var/named/216.1.2.rev";
};

In file "/var/named/216.1.2.rev":

2.1.216.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA (usual stuff)
100.2.1.216.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR servername.domain.

and so forth.

Hello,

This is what I get:

Jul 19 14:46:25 redhat named[99]: loading configuration from '/etc/namedb/named.conf'
Jul 19 14:46:25 redhat named[99]: dns_master_load: 1.201.216.in-addr.arpa.zone:10: ignoring out-of-zone data (43.68.69.in-addr.arpa)
Jul 19 14:46:25 redhat named[99]: zone 1.201.216.in-addr.arpa/IN: has no NS records

This is what I thought would happen because my ip(hence the NS also) is in a different range so I'm not sure how to properly create the ptr for this server.

Your IP information shouldn't be in their zone file, hence "ignoring out-of-zone data". Recheck the NS record. It should look lika a normal zone NS record:

1.201.216.in-addr.arpa IN NS your.dns.server.name.

even in my server is not at that ip address???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back