Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

briteeyez

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2001
EC
Hi

I am looking to implement a single domain, two site setup for my organisation. The head office is located in Canada with approx. 30 users and the remote site is in Caribbean with 10 users. The main office houses the PDC and other Domain COntrollers. The remote site also has a DC running there to facilitate the users there.

Do I need to have DNS running in the remote site. I was thinking of setting up an Active Directory Integrated zone in the main site. What type of zone do I need to have running in the remote site.

Are they any disadvantages to using a single label domain name e.g. TEST.LOCAL.

Thanks

You dont need a dns server in remote site, but it sure would help keep traffic off the wan.

-john

How did you installed DC without DNS? I'm using ADIZ for main and branch

Opps I think I miss your question:

Answer 1:
Like Winoto said DNS ADIZ is just nice.

Answer 2:
With 30/10 Users, no disadvantage using a single lable domain name.

use a child domain if you need different domain based policies - like password complexity... i 2nd ricpinto - make an AD site, make server a DC with DNS, WINS, GLOBAL CATALOG, mabe DHCP if necessary for that network...

scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back