Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
I just setup a DNS server for my local site. each client will have there perfered DNS server this address. Now my question is, can I block certain IP address's from accessing the internet?

any input would be appreciated

thanks

Yes if you have firewall or:
1. With GPO, modified the proxy address to 127.0.0.1 and don't give them access to change the configuration (IE and Network properties)
2. I never try this, but I think you can create another scope, reserve the addresses and put default gateway 127.0.0.1

Good luck

I am trying to accomplist the same thing, but I do not have much experience with networking and Windows2000. What is GPO and where do I find it?
Thanks,
Janet

GPO stands for Group Policy Object. Every machine since Windows 2000 has a Local GPO and they may have more Group Policies applied to them if they are part of a domain.

To access your local Group Policy Object for your machine go to Start -> Run -> MMC

Then add the Group Policy snap in and just go with the default which is for the local machine.

Word of caution, there are A LOT of Group policies and i'm not sure where this specific one is. Maybe someone else can help you find that policy

Brian

I think you would have to change two policies. one for the above post and the second would be to disable the change of proxy settings.

Where do I find the GPO for modifying the proxy address to use and how do I then only apply a GPO to specific AD accounts?

Janet

1. Create one OU, move your users to that OU, and then right click that OU, properties, Group Policy. How to create/apply GPO??? you can read the help file is easy.

2. ON Group policy windows, expand User configuration | windows settings | Internet Explorer Maintenance | Connection, double click Proxy Settings (from there you can allow them to access some websites also)
3. To prevent users play with the proxy/network configuration, go to User Configuration | administrative templates | windows component | internet explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back