Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
I just setup a New 2k2Server that is on the same lan as my still active Novell 5 server. Well, I want my primamry DNS on the workstation to be the 2k2 server, well, when I set my primamry DNS as the 2k2 and the secondary as the novell server I can't get on the interent or resolve any DNS names.. I've been into the DNS on the 2k2 and set up a "name server" with the props of the novell server.. Its suppose to forward those DNS requests to the Novell server but is obviously not.. It (the 2k2 serv) see's the Novell server but just won't push the DNS requests that it can't handle... I'm confused, really confused.. What am I missing here?? if it makes any consolation, they are both on a private ip range of 192.168.100 bla bla bla.. any ideas are gratiously accepted..
snooter Knowing everything about pc's would be like knowing everything about women! Why do they do the things they do???

In your message the Primary DNS is the 2k and the secondary is the Novell Server . You set your forwarding to your ISP's DNS server , not to your Novell , since it has the same entries as the W2k server

I know that, but right now, the Novell serv has full access to outside of our firewall and it is doind all of the dns resolution for all of our hosts.. Can't I set the 2k2 serv to use the novell serv as the primary dns? Knowing everything about pc's would be like knowing everything about women! Why do they do the things they do???

I know that, but right now, the Novell serv has full access to outside of our firewall and it is doing all of the dns resolution for all of our hosts.. Can't I set the 2k2 serv to use the novell serv as the primary dns? Knowing everything about pc's would be like knowing everything about women! Why do they do the things they do???

You need to go into your W2K DNS and select your Domain then Action - Properties and set the DNS forward to be your Novel server, then remove it as the backup DNS for your systems.

Or you can use your DHCP to set the Novel server as the backup DNS server for all of your PCs, that way if the w2k machine is unable to find the address (as the primary) it should fail over to the novel server. CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back