Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Forward Lookup Zone missing _msdcs, _sites folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmin

Programmer
Feb 10, 2003
GB
Shock, horror!

I have just discovered that my DNS Forward Lookup Zone id missing following folders:

_msdcs
_sites
_tcp
_udp

What is going on?!!!

wmin

Have you checked your log files to see if you are getting error messages?

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Hi Glen, you are a computer fairy, are not you? :)

Its funny you should mention errors, because I have plenty...

Registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.13a03484-1732-4aed-96c9-d859af88ea83.domains._msdcs.americaneuropean.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 gri2.americaneuropean.com.' failed with the following error:
DNS server not authoritative for zone.

Registration of the DNS record '343fd734-ee30-4611-9bec-a1315d165608._msdcs.americaneuropean.com. 600 IN CNAME gri2.americaneuropean.com.' failed with the following error:

Registration of the DNS record '_kpasswd._udp.americaneuropean.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 464 gri2.americaneuropean.com.' failed with the following error:

Registration of the DNS record '_kerberos._udp.americaneuropean.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 88 gri2.americaneuropean.com.' failed with the following error:

etc... it looks ill, very ill.

wmin

When did the errors start? Can you pin point anything that has changed? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

:-| I guess when I set that server up. Is it fatal? Everything seems to work otherwise...

Hi Glen, I not sure what you mean by: "How is your dns currently set up?" - my answer is daft, but it is: badly :) do you think that those entries are missing because dns was unable to register them since the begining and errors that I am getting now is dns still trying create those record. for example:

Registration of the DNS record '343fd734-ee30-4611-9bec-a1315d165608._msdcs.americaneuropean.com. 600 IN CNAME gri2.americaneuropean.com.' failed with the following error:

Does not it mean that it is trying to creat folder _msdc with loads of entries in it? not sure....

You probably have already fixed your error, but just in case ...

I recently ran into a simular problem with a new W2K DC. I had updated the server with SP4 and all hot fixes before promoting to a DC on a single label domain. It turns out that MS servers and PCs don't register themselves with the DNS server if you are using a single label domain name (ie. Yourdomain instead of Yourdomain.local). You can refer to MS article for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back