Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS for non-domain computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogi05

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2006
US
Hi all,

In a windows 2003 environment, how can I get computers who aren't in the domain to be listed in DNS? I see them listed in the reverse look up zone in the appropriate subnet defined by the DHCP...

Is there any way to configure the DNS so a domain computer can ping a non-domain computer via the Netbios name?

Thanks,

Chris Cater

Servers whether they are part of the domain or not, can be added to DNS for name resolution with host records created in the DNS zone, or through the TCP/IP properties DNS tab (register this server in DNS check box)

What about client computers? Is there any way to have them listed?

You should be able to configure your clients so they automatically register with DNS or you can have your DHCP server do it for you.

ML

You may need to allow Nonsecure Dynamic updates on the forward lookup zone that yo are using I think.

It is in the properties page for the zone itself.

So if I allow nonsecure dynamic updates on our main forward lookup zone of mycompany.com, non domain computers will appear in zone as well, even though their FQDN is NOT comp.mycompany.com?

Thanks,

Chris

Seems not, I think you will need to create a DNS zone for whatever DNS name you have them configured for.

If you push out your DNS name via DHCP, you can set DHCP to always update DNS.

This is the method we use here and works fine for machines that are not in our AD Domain.

By non-domain, i mean the computers that are on no domain, and are in workgroups. We have contractors in the office using their own computers. I'm assuming there is no way for THEM to be listed in DNS or something that will allow us to hit their machines via netbios and not IP?

Thanks,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back