Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS for Host Header

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryangle

Technical User
Mar 19, 2001
US
Hi,

I did the host header thing to setup a new site on a single static IP. But everywhere I've looked, the info is so vague about what is involved with the DNS config. I added a new forward lookup zone, so far, with a records and c names. But when I've tried to Start the site in IIS I get this alert, "The service could not be started because it is not correctly configured. Make sure that its server bindings do not conflict with other sites running on the same machine." Ok, :-I what does that mean? There's only one site running, not the default Administration site- I'm not using that one so I Stopped it.

Thanks in advance for any input on this... OK, Who stopped payment on my reality check?

this means that you are hosting 2 websites on the same port without using host headers...
go to the properties of the website,
go to the website tab
click 'advanced'
edit the 'Multiple identies for this web site' rule
fill in the FQDN for your website
e.g.

then start IIS
(also, if there is no real need for the default web site, then stop it... it is also running on port 80 and will probably be the reason why IIS is not starting at this point) --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------

Hi,

Thanks for your response on this. I already did the Host Header thing though. I didn't mention the steps I took to make use of the host header feature, but yeah, I went to Properties>Advanced and filled in using the new domain name that we bought. I didn't key in the FQDN, because a FQDN has a trailing "." and I don't understand the need for it here. I've heard that I need to add new DNS A records, and perhaps C names though. But I am unclear as to how to go about that. As I mentioned in the last post, I added a new Forward Lookup Zone and its corresponding A records and C names, but I'm a little reluctant to proceed without getting some kind of idea about whether I'm on the right track- or not! %-) Thanks again, for any help on this. Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

first check if you have multiple sites running on port 80 (in MMC, select your server and you will see all sites in the right pane... look for all sites that are running on the same port... and make sure ALL of these sites are configured with a host header name.)
Then, try to start IIS
If that works, then we'll look into the DNS issue --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------

Hi,

Thanks for picking up on this again.
I've only had the One site, until now. The main site didn't have a Host Header name. So I keyed its name in there. Then I got an alert that read, A duplicate name exists on the network. So I went back and removed the Host Header name in the Properties of the Second site. Then Started it. :) Now, I still have a big question about the DNS. I set up a Forward Lookup Zone- but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. Because I just tried to bring up the Second site using the Internal Alias, but pulled up, The page cannot be displayed. However, it may be a case of not having been Refreshed so the change didn't take effect yet. A Thousand Thanks!

Anyone know how to configure the DNS for a site brought into the Host Headers? :cool: Please! This OS keeps me on the edge of my seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back