Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Fails to certain sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfr1999

MIS
Jul 19, 2004
US
I'm relatively new to DNS and need some help. At different times we'll lose the ability to access some web sites like Yahoo and Google. Many sites continue to come up fine, such as ESPN, MSN, etc...

Right now we are able to get back to those sites by flushing the server DNS cache and rebooting the PIX 515 firewall. Since we have to reboot the firewall to "fix" the problem, I assumed that something was not configured correctly, but a friend of mine says that he thinks it's a problem with DNS. If I just reboot the firewall and don't flush the DNS the problem goes away but seems to come back faster.

We're still running a NT 4.0 network (upgrading next year). I'll be happy to provide any additional information necessary to help solve this issue. Thanks.

Win2k enviroment, same PIX. Bounced the PIX 4 days ago, prob resurfaced the next day. Reloaded the PIX. Got someone who knows a lot more than me checking the logs. Let you know if we find anything.

When I want to go to a secure web site page it won't allow me and I get the dns error. I can go to any other type of pages but no secure sites. I have checked my settings and they seem to be in order. Help. please.....

We appear to have 3 seperate problems here. Suggestion, the former post stays, the last two post new posts with a little more detail as to what the problems are. All, post ipconfig /all, let us know how long the problem has been going on, or if it's always been that way, and what the logs show. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
[red]Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store for Christmas![/red]
TTinChicago

on the pix try doing a no fixup dns for trouble shooting then if that works, I think it will. try changing the dns fixup to a larger value.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back