Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Event Log errors on 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

qweasdzxcqweasdzxc

Technical User
Sep 12, 2006
US
Everyday since December of last year the server logs at least a dozen errors reporting that my server failed to register with a DNS server that resides on an outside network. The event ID is 5774 and the source is: Netlogon

"The dynamic registration of the DNS record 'ldap_tcp.mydomain.net.600 IN SRV 0 100 389 myserver.mydomain.net failed on the following DNS server...

DNS server : 202.27.222.243

I ran a lookup of the remote DNS ip and this is what I found....
Search results for: 202.27.222.243

OrgName: Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
OrgID: APNIC
Address: PO Box 2131
City: Milton
StateProv: QLD
PostalCode: 4064

ReferralServer: whois://whois.apnic.net

NetRange: 202.0.0.0 - 203.255.255.255
CIDR: 202.0.0.0/7
NetName: APNIC-CIDR-BLK
NetHandle: NET-202-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Allocated to APNIC
NameServer: NS1.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS3.APNIC.NET
NameServer: NS4.APNIC.NET
NameServer: TINNIE.ARIN.NET
NameServer: NS-SEC.RIPE.NET
NameServer: DNS1.TELSTRA.NET
Comment: This IP address range is not registered in the ARIN database.
Comment: For details, refer to the APNIC Whois Database via
Comment: WHOIS.APNIC.NET or Comment: ** IMPORTANT NOTE: APNIC is the Regional Internet Registry
Comment: for the Asia Pacific region. APNIC does not operate networks
Comment: using this IP address range and is not able to investigate
Comment: spam or abuse reports relating to these addresses. For more
Comment: help, refer to Comment:
RegDate: 1994-04-05
Updated: 2005-05-20

OrgTechHandle: AWC12-ARIN
OrgTechName: APNIC Whois Contact
OrgTechPhone: +61 7 3858 3100
OrgTechEmail: search-apnic-not-arin@apnic.net

Seems kinda strange to me being that I am in the states and have little use for DNS in that region all together! If anyone has any ideas or would like to brainstorm with me it would be appreciated.....and maybe a little fun as well.

Event ID 5774, 5775 and 5781 - Netlogon

Symptoms: you may find Event ID 5774 and 5775 - Registration of the DNS record '<dns record>'. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 <domain name>.' failed with the following error: <error description>.on your AD with DNS server.

Resolutions: 1. Make sure the Domain Controller points to itself as a DNS server.
2. If you have two NICs on this server, disable one of them or point all NICs to the internal DNS.
3. If you just upgraded the server or changed the IP, you may need delete the problem record manually and restart the NETLOGON service.

When I try the first step I get a warning message which says that multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network. They will not function correctly when the gateways are on two seperate, disjointed networks....Do you want to save this configuration?

I click no becuase I am running websense filters through this machine as well as an important database so I dont want to try something I am unsure about. Am also not sure where to even start step 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back