Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns errors? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvere

Technical User
Jul 8, 2001
US
I'm gettting dns errors in the event log. right now almost everyone is on xp home, which can't join a domain. but there are 5 engineers who have xp pro and I want them to join the domain. I thought I better get all this straightened out before I do.

my first question is about the domain name. I now know that it has to have a . in it...didn't know that a year ago when I set this server up. when I go to the network identification tab or AD it says my domain is: domain.puck . is this correct or does it have to be domain.puck.com or something?

but when I go to ipconfig it only says puck

anyone? dying of a headache and want to figure this out before I go home :)

thanks

It doesn't really matter what the name is (I hope nobody starts throwing things at me) but it should make some sense. We used .loc to designate a local domain vs. .com which is our public domain. But the only way to change the name is to remove all servers from that domain and rebuild the first server with the new domain.

thanks gtrscott. if I entered puck.loc while setting up the doman would it read domain.puck.loc in the identification tab? I'm trying to figure out if I put in domain.puck or just puck while setting up the sever.

k, you're having dns errors on your DC right? typically, I set up domains as mycompany.local, and yes, if everything is going right you should see the .local in the dns settings...

Run ipconfig /all from one of your workstations and you should only see the internal address of your dns server if everything is set correct. If you see the DNS servers of your isp, then theres your trouble.

The fastest way to diagnose domain issues is to get an xp or 2000 workstation onto the domain and check the event log for any errors, the most common being "userenv" - cannot determine computer name or something like that.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

thanks for the info karmic. yeah the errors are on my dc. all I see for the domain is domain.puck and in ipconfig it's just puck....so does that mean that I should change it? one of my errors is something about a single word domain.

I'll check the logs when I get to the office Sunday.

take care

well after doing a lot of searching on mskb and google I think I'm to start over. all I have in my AD is about 30 users with their passwords and shared folders...not a big deal to recreate.

how do I wipe it out? do I go to add/remove programs/windows components and uncheck dns? then do the same to reinstall it?

Before you wipe everything out, what specific errors are you getting on the DC?

I have them at the office...but let me look try to look them up.

5781 netlogon: Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available.

thanks the only one I can find off the top of my head. but there's one that says something about not being able to have a single word domain name. this is the main one that's making me want to start over. here's a kb on it:

What dns server IP is listed in the tcp/ip properties of the server? is it the local servers address or the isp's dns servers?

That article usually works with FQDN,fully qualified domain names (if you're hosting your own website), if it's only local, then you really shouldn't have to worry about it.

You can try deleting your dns server, uninstall DNS from the add/remove snapin.

Reinstall DNS and set up the new. You may have to delete the DNS logs.

If when you set up your new mycompany.local dns, you find that the "root hints" is missing, follow the instructions here...

thanks karmic...greatly appreciated.

I don't have anything configured yet on the server. everything is set to automatic. no static ip or dns. I'm getting ready to set all that, but I wanted to know if I had to change the domain name first.

the domain is for local only, someone else hosts our webpage.

well, try that first. Then configure. If there's nothing configured yet, that would explain the errors in the event viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back