Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2ktiger

Technical User
Aug 13, 2003
Hi all,
Am running win98se operating system with virus and firewall protection - my delema is I cannot register or login into a particular site, am getting the 'page cannot be displayed' message 'cannot find server or DNS error'
Have tried disabling firewall, security settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0 are checked - I contacted the company itself and they figured it's my computer settings - suggestions?
Rgds
Tiger.

I can ping no problem....

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

sorry rockerfellerz,i wasnt clear with that, i meant tiger.
Hoped ping results for him would help someone in troubleshooting issue.

But you were probably asking Ytiger.....

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Hi diogenes, rocker,
Thanks guys for trying the web site.

diogenes, what did you mean by PING? and how would I do that?
Tiger.

go to your dos prompt

start/programs and look down the column until you see the dos prompt. click on that and you'll get the black dos window opened up.

type in the word ping followed by a space and then type
205.150.151.130 press enter

see what it says and tell us.

What I'm wanting to see is
if you can get to the site that way,
or if you go to your computer (which will give a number beginning with 127
or if you get some kind of error message.

knowing what happens may give people looking some more help to see what's going wrong with your system.

diogenes
Using 205.150.151.130 on my normal browser will take me to the regular telus site NOT the register/log in site.

ping 205.150.151.130 on the dos prompt will show,
Reply from 205.150.151.130: bytes=32 TTL=243
Packets: sent = 4, Received: = 4, Lost = 0 (0%loss)
Tiger.

at this point I have a very red face.
I was not reading your posts carefully enough and did not make the distinction between the front/first page and a login screen. I cannot get on the login screen either.

I'm on a different computer than I was yesterday, I dont know if that one would have been able to get in.
On this one I've got ie6, sp1, and 128k encryption.
I went into control alt delete and removed zonealarm, virus scan and all the junk my kids have running, and was still unable to get the log on screen.

You need help from someone that knows a lot more about this than I do-at this point there is only one other thing I can offer you-there is a browser forum and perhaps these two threads could give you some clues:
thread608-663601 and thread608-665844

If you notice what the link points to as you hover over it, it is a java script. It is probably that your java got messed up, or is too old. Got to this link and it will automatically update your java:
Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hello Darrell,Jon,Matt,Diogenes,Rockerfellerz,
Just wanted to keep you guys posted and to thank-you all for your efforts.
At last after a lot of trial and error....was able to solve my delema, in a few words......I am able to get to my register/login page by unchecking the box for transport layer security ....Tools - Int Options - Advanced - Security.
Tiger :)

Thanks for posting back to let us know what happened.
From curiosity, I tried that on my machine too and it also worked there making the inaccessible registration screen accessible.

Greetings once more...I have several pc's on 98se and for windows ME that have DNS errors...they get valid ip address and cant ping out...firewalls and antivirus removed and still cant access anything..I also check for the internet connection sharing to be enabled on ME and it wasnt..I believe I am overlooking something...but can not pinpoint the problem...any assistance would be most appreciated.

Dr. Keystroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back