Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS error on new clients only

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvgirl64

MIS
Aug 27, 2002
US
I have recently added two new computers to our W2K network. One is an XP Pro notebook and one is a W2K Server. My issue is that neither of these will connect to the internet. They are networked just fine, can connect to any other computer/server on the network. Nslookup resolves addresses on both from our W2K DNS server. No one else on the network is having trouble with their internet connection. Just the 2 added recently. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!

Sounds like your two computers can connect internally but don't know how to get outside the local network.

Make sure you have the correct GATEWAY ip address entered for each of these computers. If they're are static ip address you'll have to modify it manually.

If you're running DHCP you can add the router number to the scope and your computers will automatically pick up the gateway. You can also add time, dns and wins servers as well.

Correct gateway is configured. Have double checked all those settings. We are not using DHCP. I set up new computers frequently and have never had this problem. I'm afraid it is something in the DNS service, which I am not that familiar with. But no one else is having the problem, after all, I'm on the internet right now. It's almost like some limit has been reached.

I assume the DNS setting on these two computer are pointing to your internal DNS server. Try changing the DNS settings to point to your ISP DNS server and see if that make a difference.

Jim

Jim Webber
Network Administrator MCSE CNA

That's a possiblity. If you are using a firewall there may be a limit on how many users can access the limit. On our Cisco Pix we are limited to 50 users. Check the log on your router and/or firewall.

You could also check your event logs on your servers to see if there something being reported there in regards to a limit being reached or an dns error?!

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Good luck and perhaps some other forum user will have more insight than myself.

Yes, the DNS address is pointing to the internal DNS server. I tried changing it to the ISP address, no luck. However, I also changed it to the ISP address on my pc (one I am working on now) and also could not get out to the internet. Hmmm..could that be a problem?

Do you know how you would find the place where those firewall or router limits are set? I looked at my firewall config, but am only familiar with some of the verbage in there.

What model PIX do you have?

Jim Webber

Okay, here's something else. I can telnet to my Pix from these clients, but I can not telnet to my Internet Router. Of course, it has an external address so I guess that makes sense. Once I telnet to the pix, I can ping outside addresses.

I don't think the PIX user limit is causing your issue.

You probably have already done this, but can you ping the default gateway? Also, you stated you could perform an nslookup and resolve internal addresses. Have you tried an nslookup for an external address, say and see what that returned?

Jim

Jim Webber

We powered the PIX off and on and that took care of it.

Glad you got it resolved.

Jim Webber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back