Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns error on internet explorer 5.5,

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterwater

Technical User
May 7, 2003
US
I run win98 and am connected thru roadrunner to internet. I cannot load anything from internet. Browser returns DNS error or cannot locate server. I have tried everything. I can ping to outside sites. Modem is said to be working. Next step is to start over, which I don't want to do.

Can you ping outside addresses by name or only by IP address?

If you put in the IP instead of the web server name in the browser address box, does that work?

e. g. for yahoo.com

Dana

Are you using dial up or xDSL?

A single machine that does not have DNS setup, should not need to get the DNS address. If you are part of a LAN with DNS server, you may need it.

I had a similar problem with my dsl when I set it up for my network. I needed the ISP's DNS address which they would not give me until a ISP tech had been onsite to check it out. He was stumped when he got the address from the ISP and then found it worked beautifully.

I was able to ping and get access to sites with the IP address but not with the domain name.

Cheers,

Pete
[morning]

i agree with the first couple of replies you could also be exhibitting the classic ie 6.0 block that seems to occur on win98 if this is the case there are fixes on the microsoft site for this
you could try specifying the dns server address's or alternatively you coulds do a dns flush instaed
start
run
command
ipconfig /dnsflush
ok
try this it works most of the time
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back