Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Error - No Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

actdjohng

MIS
Apr 26, 2002
US
I have a different twist on the DNS problem that has been on a previous thread.

Windows 98SE, on an intranet, with a gateway to the T1 Router. This box did work and then one day it stopped.

Ping to my hearts delight to:

The router's gateway;
any IP address on the intranet;
any IP address out on the web;
ping any of the DNS servers;
and even the Company's webserver,

but there is no connection for email or the IE6 browser makes connection...get the perverbial DNS Error message.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have hit MS Knowledge base, and did the DNS_on.inf to no avail.

John Garrison

Are you able to ping the ISP DNS server? Are the DNS servers you are pinging on you LAN or the internet? Maybe need to add forwarders to your DNS servers... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I can ping the Internet DNS servers, ours and another ISP's DNS Servers. I can ping everywhere to anywhere, but this box's browser or email will not connect. I'm at a loss at how to correct the problem, as I said, it was working, then all of a sudden quit.

John Garrison

check your IE proxy maybe......

and all those network settings in network neighbourhood

Are you able to ping URLs and you LAN by name? Or only IPs, maybe something wrong with your ISP DNS, or your forwarders?

Ummm, no, other computers on the router can get to the internet without a problem, in fact one computer sharing the same hub to the router works just fine. Whatever is wrong is in this specific box...and I am at a loss to find the cause.

John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

I have found the problem, it was a removed firewall, from a previous install that was keeping the box from connecting to the router. I reinstalled the firewall software, and re-enabled the IE to access the internet, and poof! connectivity. The user failed to tell me before all this, that they had installed a firewall program on the box, and watched while I pulled rabbits out of my hat.

Thanks for your help.

Thread closed.
John Garrison
ccdp@socket.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back