Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS error/can ping but can't browse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachenhunter

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
US
Hello,

I do tech support for an ISP and a customer of mine is having a problem:

(she has windows ME BTW)
Her computer wasn't moving internet traffic she couldn't ping anything but ip addresses, so I had her bring her computer into me and I took a look, I managed to get it to ping stuff with the name(like instead of the address but her internet explorer isn't going there. It always pulls up the dns error page. I even installed another browser to see if it was an IE problem(I installed mozilla) and it didn't work either. she's not "working offline" or anything like that(or atleast it doesn't say it's working offline). Also she's not set up for any sort of proxy.

Also when her computer comes up Norton AV's popproxy comes up with an error "norton antivirus could not start e-mail protect please check to make sure tcp/ip is installed."

her computer also has a lot of gator like progams(modem boost, stay connected, datemanager, stuff like that) is there anyway that one of those could be acting like a proxy or something to block internet traffic?

If anyone out there knows of a fix or has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks in advance,
Cody

To make sure none of those programs aren't causing the problem remove them with Spybot's search and destroy Make sure you verify that the network connection (Dialup?) is set up properly (make sure tcp/ip is installed and that it is not corrupt).

The dialer is set up correctly, how do I remove tcp/ip(i tried "removing" it from the network properties and then re installed it. and still had the problems.

I didn't get a chance to run it.

I ended up refering her to a computer repair place here in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back