Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS entry?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello all,

I do know anthing about NT4 DNS server and I could use some help quickly. I’ve installed DNS on the server and on the same server has a same Intranet on it (rubbish thing my boss prepared). I’ve told my PC where the DNS server is.

Q) How do I add an alias e.g. Itwebsite, hopefully (or am I way off the mark) this will allow me to type itwebsite into IE6 and hay presto one rubbish Intranet. If I’m way off the mark here can someone put me right.

Thanks
dan

You should just be able to add another DNS entry called ITWEBSITE and point it to the IP address of your server. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

You're on the right track.. You want to create an "A Record". I guess it's probably the same as xNIX DNS servers in terms of record names.

Below is a link with the breakdown of what different DNS entries mean.

For your simple case of resolving NAME to and IP ADDRESS.. You'll create an "A Record" or an M$ equavilent.

__ DNS RECORD BREAKDOWN ___

I inherited a network running Window NT 4.0 as the File & Print Server and Exchange Server. Before I got there they were running 12 static IP addresses now I have everyone behind a firewall including the server.

Do I configure DNS behind the firewall? What’s a good step-by-step web site or book on configuring DNS on Windows NT and/or Window 2000 Server. I’m planning on config-uring a second server that will just run Exchange 5.5 on Windows NT Server.

More questions to come....

Thanks,

Neeko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back